I am back to Delhi. Right now in the train. You may find it funny that I am leaving my hometown on the same day as Holi, but it is and let it be, I am already sad about it.
Here I am using MaStory again to post my views, when just finished watching ‘9’, ‘Dark Night’, ‘The Last Legion’ and ‘Visions’ over the same ‘kmplayer’ with my Nokia N900. Yes! It’s batteries are not almighty to last longer than 6 hours movie play over it, but even then 6 hours movie play!!! Isn’t it amazing? I sound like advertising the trial device, I got… Right??? I swear I don’t wanna sound so, but …
Here I am to summarize a few apps and conveniences, I found with only Nokia N900 and will be missing in all device, I will be buying next before I buy this one (or a better version of it based on Maemo or MeeGo.)
1. Qwerty keypad: I read someone out there ranting about keypad that they should have kept the spacebar in middle of all. Spare me plz!!! Suggesting something is different thing and actually putting it to work for most of users is other.
I am literally loving the way, it’s keypad is and kudos to Nokia that they are pushing most of their latest devices with qwerty keypads. Smart phones gonna be like they never before. Earlier you heard that you could do all the things of world with your smart phone, just need to learn a few things about it and now…. You don’t even need to learn, just do the way you were doing with your lappy or PC. Do someone needs Netbook here or that genre will die in same way as Pagers did against cell-phones?
2. 3.5" screen, 16M colors and 800×480 resolution: I thought about such a day when watching movies and browsing web over cells would be that much easier, cell-phone companies thought that soon enough the market of Value Added Services will see a boom, but nothing worked out that much faster as is supposed to happen now with such high resolution/ size devices out there in market (affordable for pocket as well). Watching full movies over it with aid its powerful batteries is so unreal.
3. MaStory: My bad!! Might be the case that I never used any other Blogging apps on smart-phones, but I never had this much bigger and clear screen device is in my hand with a perfect qwerty keypad ever. I really became so much comfortable with its keypad in shortest period of time that now even hours don’t hurt me. I never posted from phones before and even the idea was tiring enough, but this one changed all, really did.
4. KMplayer: Don’t know it’s Mplayer being called as KMplayer here or some entire different movie player, but it works like the same. Those linux freaks out there know much about this player and even some windows enthusiastic too. The VLC player been GOD for many of us movie watchers and when we get a capable phone like this, we always googled if something like VLC out there for it.
Here is your answer. Work like just perfect, no laggings in video and simple enough to catch up with things. I presume that all shortcuts with the linux version are right here like arrow key for forwarding or reversing the play and space for pause/ play meanwhile Ctrl+Back Space to switch across applications in faster ways. I placed .srt and .sub files with the movies in same name and it worked the way it should. The resolution of 800 x 480 makes it actually readable than pulling your eyeballs out only. You must have seen snapshots of move ‘9’ over it, but I’ll post you back some of mine to show that how real it is.
5. Sketch: Again my bad that I don’t play enough with default apps that come with the device itself, but like many other things with device, it was an entire different scenario, when I came across the amazing app named Sketch. I created one sketch through it for time-pass while travelling in train and it didn’t came out that bad. I seen people sketching through paint brush of windows os, but sketching in digital was never a thing of my kind even if I know basics of sketching some ways. With Sketch app starting from the name aided with the resolution/ size of the screen+responsiveness of touch. I really never thought of doing this with a phone. Sure!!! I suggest you to have screen guard ON, but in all, it would be a favourite time-pass to many.
6. Conversations, Gtalk, Skype, IMs: This is something truely about communication. You would find it unparallel in the way it removes the differences between typing on laptop and cell-phone, but also the way it removes the differences between SMSs and IMs. A true communication device in deed. It really has it all without third party apps. I salute you Nokia!! Hats off.
7. The openness: Its been long when we were looking for the ways to go beneath of phones. Lots of ways to hack your smart-phone is available on net, but here came the true control, where hacking is legal and many times even encouraged. With such a true open platform, possibilities are literally countless. May be Android come with a better processor and fully integrated with Google services, but it wont excite you as a platform, as much Maemo does. Its a start of new era in the same way Linux, Solaris or Java was. I really want it grow.
Many things more could be written over my unique experiences with this device, but I am about to reach office and sure I wont look good enough with both hands engaged in typing on cell, so ending the post here. Will love to have your comments about your experiences.
When was finishing my article from Live Writer, I came across an article via twitter, which seems more broader in coverage, I would like to share here. Take a read, it boldly shows how impressive and unique Nokia N900 is as a device.