Update: Avoid the old method as the latest firmware update method is very simple. Keep the files in place, open Product and flash. Use refurbish.
Original Firmware file link only: Download Link (Warning: It leaves only 20 mb around in C: drive of Nokia N8)
Updated link without Hero of Sparta: Download Link (It will leave you with around 130 mb in C: drive)
I will suggest you to use the second link which is created after removing Hero of Sparta files from the firmware.
Check the latest version demo here
Notice the speed this time.
Updated: Installed the second leaked version too via the same procedure and with new files. Haptic feedback and 6 home screens now. You can use exactly the same procedure while flashing. Note that even if you are already on Symbian Belle (earlier leaked one), you need to use the same Anna files (at least I did so successfully without any trouble).
So you bought a Nokia N8 last year and while reading a lot of negative buzz on internet and around you, started thinking if buying Nokia N8 (or even any other Symbian^3 device) was a wrong decision? But still keeping it around as there been no better camera phone than this ever nor seems likely any soon.
Think again… Haven’t you seen your Nokia N8 like brand new twice a time till now?
Once when you bought it and once you got Symbian Anna on it recently. Not enough? That was just kind of theme change in your eyes?
Be ready to see it like real brand new with Symbian Belle now. Yup! even though its so unlike Layman’s take, I decided to take the plunge and flashed Symbian Belle leaked firmware on it. So we paid once and will be having brand new device experience for more than three times.
1. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER THEME THAN INSTALLED. IT WILL CERTAINLY MAKE YOUR PHONE GO IN REBOOT LOOP.
I bricked mine while trying the same and the only resolution was to flash it back to PR1.0 11.5 scanvidia. It was a scary ride for me as didn’t wanted to loose N8 in any case. Somehow managed to get over with it.
How to flash my Nokia N8 with Symbian Belle?
I know most of readers here never did any flashing with their Nokia Phones and no one wanna take a risk of bricking their phones, specially when it comes to Nokia N8. I know there will be many questions in your mind and I will try to get them answered, but first I want to make you clear that
1. FLASHING YOUR PHONE WITH ANY UNOFFICIAL FIRMWARE WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY (though you can claim your warranty back once you are back on official firmware).
2. THERE ALWAYS WILL BE A RISK OF BRICKING YOUR DEVICE WHILE FLASHING, SO ITS AT YOUR RISK (Not advised for faint hearted)
So done with warning, I know you still are interested in the guide .. so here we go..
Pre-requisites tools and files:
Let me very clear that this guide is talking about unlocked Nokia N8’s only. You need to download the following things first …
2. Navifirm: Navifirm is a software for downloading firmwares for Nokia devices. It is also for finding product code of Nokia mobile phones. You can find their page here and latest version is here. Less than 1mb
3. Symbian Belle leaked firmware: Leaked firmware’s are usually those one that are not yet finished for the official release and somehow came out via some insider or some outsider accidently or intentionally. Obviously the definition itself says that its not a finished firmware and there might be\ will be bugs. Worth it or not, you will find in later parts. You can download the files from here (password: orvvan + mohamad 79) or alternative download without password from here.
It will contain the following four files
RM-596_111.010.0606_79u_prd.core.fpsx (121 mb)
New Files for the new leaked firmware:
Though original link by CODeRUS was from Rapidshare, but for the convenience of others, I have uploaded the same on Multi-Upload, that were provide the convenience to download via any of the download site of your choice.
Here goes the link for the new leaked firmware, which resolves haptic issues and also gives 6 home screens.
4. Symbian Anna Official firmware: Multiple posts on web can confuse you that which Symbian Anna firmware you need (some Chinese one or something else), so note it clearly, the basic requirement is Symbian Anna firmware and best option is to download the one, which is available for your region, for your model number, for Nokia N8. Like I went for v22.014 for my Indian Dark Gray Nokia N8.
For downloading the official firmware, you need to use Navifirm Plus, choose Nokia Care Suit mode, then clear cache and once the list loads, select Nokia N8 (RM-596) and then subsequently your firmware files. It should be around 253 mb and 8 files. Indian Dark Grey Nokia N8 users can download from here.
5. A perfectly working Nokia USB Data cable
Precautions to be taken before the beginning:
1. Install Phonix first. Should not be any issues here. Though some guides suggest that you need to uninstall Official Nokia Softwares before installing Phonix, but I found that you just need to assure that none of the official Nokia Apps are running in background, just that. No need to uninstall.
2. (Optional) Have a clean Nokia N8 Many of the issues people faced with leaked Symbian Belle only because of their own messed up Nokia N8, so its better to start a fresh. Best if you have a refurbished Nokia N8 with Symbian Anna, otherwise clean your Nokia N8 via Factory Reset + Delete Data and a reinstall via Ovi Suit.
*Those who haven’t got the official Symbian Anna firmware yet, can flash their phone with an Symabin Anna via same Phonix, but you need Symbian Anna on your phone first to upgrade to Symbian Belle.
3. Make sure power availability and have a recharged Nokia N8 In any case, if your Nokia N8 goes out of battery or USB connection gets disconnected, then its almost likely to brick your Nokia N8, which might be a bit hard to recover back. So make sure, nothing like such happened in middle of operations.
4. Remove the SIM, remove the memory Card There been issues with some people, when they tried to do the flashing with SIM inserted so it better to be safe remove the SIM and only insert back when everything running fine on Symbian Belle.
Finally How to do the flashing:
1. Copy original 8 Symbian Anna firmware files (not the four Symbian Belle files) to Phonix directory
Note that the directory might be changed in your installation and also you need to create RM-596 yourself. *You can check location at Phonix –> Tools –> Options –> Product Location
2. Keep all four Symbian Belle Firmware files in one folder somewhere as you will be needed to navigate to them.
3. Make sure only one phone is connected to your computer. Then go to Phonix –> File –> Manage Connection, move No Connection up and apply.
4. Go to Phonix –> File –> Open Product, type RM-596 and select the result which would be Nokia N8.
5. Go to Phonix –> Flashing –> Firmware Update, from the Product Code box, open and choose your product code (should be there automatically). Now it must be showing your SW version and variant. Check Dead Phone USB Flashing and go to Options button at the bottom of the same page and you will fine another page open with six files listed.
6. Delete following two files as you don’t have those two files available in leaked firmware, so we wont do anything on them
7. Now carefully replace the rest of the four files via Edit option (double click will also do) with subsequent files in Symbian Belle Firmware. Like in my case as given below:
RM-596\RM-596_022.014_79.92_prd.core.fpsx –> RM-596_111.010.0606_79u_prd.core.fpsx
RM-596\RM-596_022.014_24.01_India_79.92_prd.rofs2.fpsx –> RM-596_111.010.0606_13.01_MEA_A_79u_prd.rofs2.fpsx
RM-596_022.014_C03.01_India_79.92_prd.rofs3.fpsx –> RM-596_111.010.0606_C04.01_MEA_1_79u_prd.rofs3.fpsx
RM-596\RM-596_022.014_U03.01_79.92.uda.fpsx –> RM-596_111.010.0606_U07.01_79u.uda.fpsx
Note that only four files must be shown there as of now. Press Ok to come back to last page.
8. Now re-verify all the things above and then press Refurbish which will start flashing your phone. Following the onscreen messages. In between, it will ask to keep the power button pressed for 8 seconds. Keep it pressed for a little longer till you get the three vibrates. In start, it will tell you that a file is missing.. don’t worry and press OK.
9. Now, if all went well then your Nokia N8 will reboot into Symbian Belle.
Its definitely not that longer or complex as it seems from the long post, but I just elaborated the steps a little to make you understand that what’s actually happening otherwise this all will take not even a 5 mins from you (apart from the flashing part). For more convenience, you may check the video
When started, it will take a longer time to install many apps from Mass Storage I guess. Nothing to be scared of it. In my case, Swype was bugging me and was installing like forever. I connected the phone with PC and remove the directory Phone/System/Apps/Swype and all went well.
How to downgrade from Symbian Belle
In case if you wanna come back for claiming warranty or something else, then you will be needed to flash to Scanvidia firmware (that is PR1.0 actually) first. It might not be a working one (no Home Screen etc), but once done, then you can flash your Nokia N8 with the latest Symbian Anna firmware or Symbian Belle or something else (custom/ hacked firmware etc).
As in last steps, always be careful that no SIM\Mass Storage Card should be inside phone while flashing and also never forget to delete unnecessary files except four important files.
Perfecting Working Apps that I installed on Symbian Belle and their links
These are not the only apps that working, but ideally all the apps should work perfectly. Though Java based apps not working yet and all those themes which are not created with Carbide 4.2 or later, wont work on Symbian Belle. (Thanks @marvelprash for the tip)
Symbian Belle Preview on Nokia N8
Sorry for a very bad quality video. Somehow made this at mid of the night.
There are a lot to share about Symbian Belle features and I will try to add the same in another post, but one thing I must say, I have a got a brand new Nokia N8 after this.
Any reader, who needs any help or have any quick question or have a nice suggestion/tip for me, can catch me on twitter @nkumar_ or on email id firstname.lastname@example.org.